Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Beans


 Zach & I love beans. Especially black.
Canned beans have a lot of sodium & who knows what else they put in there... So instead of buying canned beans I make my own. They're really easy & inexpensive to make.

This is how I do it.
You need:
1 bag of beans ( I use a small bag)
water 
crock pot

Pour the beans into a colander & rinse them. 
Put the beans into the crock pot & put enough water to completely cover the beans  and 2-3 extra inches.
Cook in low speed for 8 hours. 
When done, dump out the water. 

Now, you can make refried beans.
This is the recipe I use.
  • 1 onion, peeled and halved
  • 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
  • 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 5 teaspoons salt
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
Sautee the onion & garlic with olive oil. Then, mix the rest of the ingredients with the beans. Cook for 5 minutes & mash them.

Enjoy your beans!